As faithful followers of Jesus, we strive to spread the word of God's love.
The Somonauk United Presbyterian Church was organized on March 18th in 1846, by the Reverend R. W. French in the cabin of George Beveridge. On the north-east corner across the bridge from the church, a small cabin was built in the spring of 1834 by an unknown trapper. This was the first building ever erected by a white man in DeKalb County, Illinois The cabin was also used as a station on the mail route inaugurated in 1834 between Chicago and Galena, Illinois. In 1842, it became the home of George Beveridge and his wife, Ann Hoy. It was used as a station on the underground railroad where runaway slaves were concealed and sent on to Canada. The present church was dedicated on June 24th, 1875, and the membership at that time was over 200 people. It is the oldest rural congregation in DeKalb County.
The Somonauk UP church contains history, mystery...